Choosing the Right Hearing Aid for You
Wondering what the best hearing aids are? It’s a combination of factors including the type of hearing loss you have, your lifestyle, and your budget. Whether you just noticed that you no longer can hear the clock ticking, or you experienced sudden hearing loss, the key to getting treatment is determining what caused it in the first place. Sometimes all you need is a little earwax removed or some help draining fluid behind the ear.
Best Hearing Aid Styles for…
So which are the best hearing aids for you? Start by considering what it is you want to do again. Did you miss the few whispered lines revealing who-dunnit at the theatre? Or do you want to join friends at the poolside bar and catch up? Your hearing aids shouldn’t just be amplifying sound…they should work in your ideal lifestyle. After all, if your hearing aids aren’t helping you do the things you love, they aren’t the best choice for you.
- Do you love going to concerts, the movies, or to local lectures? If so, check out whether your local venue offers hearing loops. We can suggest hearing aids that sync with these systems so you can discreetly tap into their hearing system.
- Frequent flyer (or do you use mass transit)? Even many taxis and buses are equipped with technology designed to work with hearing aids.
- Tracking your fitness and health? The latest hearing technology can track your vital signs more accurately than the most popular fitness trackers!
Once you have a list of situations where you’d like your hearing aids to work, it’s time to look at styles and brands.
Questions to Ask Before Buying Hearing Aids
We will show you a variety of styles and brands. As you check out the hearing aids, ask yourself the following questions:
- What features will you need? Do you work in a noisy environment? If so, you’ll need hearing aids that help you focus on your colleague’s voice and drown out background noise. If you’re on the phone a lot, you might be more interested in hearing aids that sync with smartphones. Make a list of the situations where you are struggling to hear and prioritize your list.
- How hard is the pair you are evaluating to put on and adjust? Do you have trouble seeing or manipulating the buttons?
- How difficult is it to put in batteries? Also consider how frequently you’re willing to replace batteries (and how expensive are they)?
- What accessories will you need to make it work for your lifestyle? Are they within your budget?
What’s the Process for Getting Hearing Aids?
The first step in treating hearing loss is to get a full hearing evaluation. We will review recent changes in your health and will ask you where you notice your hearing loss. We will also test how well you hear. At the evaluation, be sure to tell your specialist about related symptoms such as dizziness, ringing in the ears, and extreme fatigue.
Sometimes hearing tests reveal the cause of hearing loss is simple to treat, such as an infection or impacted earwax. If the hearing test reveals permanent damage to your hearing, treatment may include hearing aids.
Either way, we’ll review your hearing test results with you and your options for treatment including which hearing aid types are most likely to improve your hearing and fit your lifestyle. Once you select a hearing aid style, we will custom fit it to your ear and program it based on the results of your exam.
You don’t have to live with hearing loss. Call or Text Us