Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed relative or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your used hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, about 14% have some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to several health issues from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. As a matter of fact, new research comes out all the time showing how important hearing is to your general health. These health problems can be avoided and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely compelling point. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by as much as 50%.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
Your pre-owned hearing aid can make a big effect, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It might also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by many manufacturers and volunteer groups. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or give us a call.